The Dutch coalition parties have presented the new coalition agreement. Read what the plans can mean for your business on this page.
On this page
What is a coalition agreement?
On 15 December 2021, the new coalition presented the coalition agreement. It sums up what the government wants to do and achieve in the 2021-2025 government period.
In the new coalition, 4 political parties will work together: VVD, D66, CDA and ChristenUnie. Together they will form a cabinet consisting of ministers and secretaries of state, who are responsible for various subjects. The title of the coalition agreement is: 'Looking after each other, looking ahead to the future'.
Most important plans for entrepreneurs
Here are the plans that will affect entrepreneurs most:
Self-employed professionals without staff (ZZP)
- The private business ownership allowance (zelfstandigenaftrek) will go down at an accelerated rate by € 650 per year, to € 1,200 in 2030. As a replacement there will be a higher general tax credit (arbeidskorting) for the self-employed.
- Occupational disability insurance for self-employed professionals will be compulsory.
- The Online Employment Relationship Evaluation Tool (Webmodule Beoordeling Arbeidsrelatie, WBA, in Dutch) is being further developed, so that clients and self-employed workers gain clarity about the employment relationship.
- More money will be made available to support SMEs in continuing to pay employees on sick leave.
- It will be easier for successors to take over their family business.
- The minimum wage will increase by 7.5% steps.
- Easier access to justice by reducing court registry fees by 25%.
- The tax system must become simpler, for example by abolishing various allowances.
- Urban road pricing (rekeningrijden) will come into effect from 2030 (amount of motor vehicle tax depending on kilometres driven per year).
- The tax-free travel allowance will go up.
- The cabinet wants to reduce nitrogen emissions more quickly. All sectors must contribute equally.
- Schemes for making your company more sustainable must be made easier.
- More homes must be built. The target is 100,000 homes per year. 2/3 of this must be affordable housing (below the National Mortgage Guarantee limit).
Plans from the coalition agreement are not yet laws
The plans of the coalition parties have yet to be discussed in the House of Representatives. During the term of office, the cabinet makes proposals for laws and regulations. These will then need to be approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate.
Read the coalition agreement
Read the complete coalition agreement (in Dutch) on Kabinetsformatie2021.nl.
Are you curious about what the coalition agreement means for you in practice? Or do you need advice? Read more on KVK.nl/english.