Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Emission permit and emission report

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If your company plans to emit greenhouse gases (CO2) or nitrogen oxides (NOx) and it falls under the scope of the Environmental Management Act (Wet milieubeheer), you will need a valid emissions permitExternal link (Dutch) from the Dutch Emissions Authority (Nederlandse Emissieautoriteit, NEa). You may then also trade in emissions rights. These rights indicate the permitted level of CO2 and NOx emissions. They are allocated annually.

Emission report

If you have an emission permit, you must submit an emission report to the NEa by no later than 31 March of each year. You must have the emission data from your emission report included in the CO2 Emissions Trading Register (Register CO2-emissiehandel) or the NOx Emissions Trading Register (NOx-emissiehandel). Your verifier will confirm digitally that your emission data has been included in the relevant register.

Verification bodies

In order to be allowed to verify emission reports, a verification body must be accredited by the Dutch Accreditation Council (Raad voor Accreditatie, RvA). Verification takes place in accordance with the requirements and procedures laid down in the verification protocolExternal link.

If you are accredited abroad, the RvA will check whether you meet the same requirements as Dutch verifiers. The RvA will attend a verification.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency