Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearch

Notifying local council about running a leisure facility

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONederlandse versie

If you intend to run a leisure facility with night's lodging (for example a hotel, bed and breakfast, or campsite) in the Netherlands, you must notify your local municipality within 3 days.

You need to notify if you:

  • start a leisure facility
  • acquire a leisure facility
  • discontinue the operation of a leisure facility
  • relocate your leisure facility

Not all municipalities require notification within 3 days. Make sure to check with your local municipality in time.


Before you notify your municipality you must ensure you hold the following permits:

  • an alcohol licence under the Licencing and Catering Act if you serve alcoholic beverages
  • a camping permit in case you operate a campsite

You also have to maintain a visitor register and pay tourist tax.

Registration numbers

Do you rent out a home to tourists? If the municipality where the rental location is located requires registration, you should have the registration number stated in adverts on online rental platforms. Platforms and booking websites are obliged to supply information on local regulations to lessors of holiday homes.

Related articles

To top