Compensation for loss, damage or delay to postal items

This information is provided by

Did you send a postal item, like a letter or a parcel? And did the item get lost, delayed or damaged in the mail? Then you may be entitled to compensation, according to the Postal Act of 2009, article 29 (in Dutch: Postwet 2009).

Conditions for compensation

You can claim compensation if you meet the following conditions:

  • You sent the postal item via the universal postal service, or UPD (Universele Post Dienst). PostNL is the UPD for the Netherlands. If a different parcel service lost or damaged the item, you must put in your claim there;
  • You are the sender;
  • You registered or insured the item, or sent it using cash on delivery service.

Applying for compensation

To apply for compensation you can contact PostNL customer serviceExternal link (you can find the contact options at the bottom of the page).

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact

This information is provided by