The Environment and Planning Act (Omgevingswet) embodies several acts. It is set up to make it easier to test building projects on all necessary aspects. The new Act consists of 26 existing acts around built environment, housing, infrastructure, environment, nature, and water (formerly Environmental Permitting Act or Omgevingsrecht).
The advantages are:
- faster and cheaper decision-making
- better solutions to social challenges
- more transparent decision-making for initiators and beneficiaries
- simplification of the rules. The Act follows European directives on the environment, unnecessary legislation has been scrapped
- more flexibility and a better fit to the actual situation
Examples of existing laws that will be incorporated in this new act are the Water Act, the Crisis and Recovery Act, and the Spatial Planning Act.
- all companies
The Environment and Planning Act will enter into force on 1 January 2024.