Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

A1/certificate of coverage

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

An A1/certificate of coverage is a form stating the country in which a worker is covered by social insurance. This certificate is valid in the the EU and the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA)External link and countries with which the Netherlands has a social security agreementExternal link.


  • you are an employer or intermediary based outside of the Netherlands who intends to have an employee work for you temporarily in the Netherlands
  • you work on assignment in the Netherlands as a self-employed professional, while remaining based in your own country

you or your employee usually remains covered by your own country’s social insurance system. In that case, you will not have to pay social insurance contributions in the Netherlands. However, you will require an A1/certificate of coverageExternal link.

Applying for an A1/certificate of coverage

In many countries, a labour inspectorate checks whether you or your employee has a valid A1/certificate of coverage. You apply to your own country's social insurance institutionExternal link for an A1/certificate of coverage. Check this page for more information on Health Insurance and other Social Security matters when moving within the EUExternal link. The A1/certificate of coverage has replaced the E101 form.

Social insurance when working permanently in the Netherlands

If you or your employee permanently takes up work in the Netherlands, you will no longer be covered by your own country's social security system. You will then pay social insurance contributions in the Netherlands. Different rules and regulations apply if you or your employee work/works in more than one EU Member State. For more information, please contact the Dutch Social Insurance Bank (Sociale Verzekeringsbank, SVB) or the social insurance organisation in your country.

International secondment

This same applies, of course, when you or your employee works temporarily outisde the Netherlands, but remains based in this country. Then you need to apply for an A1/certificate of coverageExternal link from the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB)External link.

Social insurance when working as a self-employed professional/freelancer in the Netherlands

If you are a self-employed professionalExternal link, you must inform the Dutch social security authorities in advance and apply for an A1 in your home country. You must be able to prove you were already working as a self-employed person for at least 2 months prior to leaving your home country and continue as a self-employed person on your return. You must be able to present the labour inspectorate with an A1 if required.

Validity of A1/certificate of coverage

An A1/certificate of coverage is valid for 24 months. If you stay for longer you must either switch to your host country's social security system or apply for an extension.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO