ADR certificate of professional competence for drivers

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you transport dangerous goods? The European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR) prescribes that a driver transporting dangerous goods needs a basic certificate: the ADR certificate of professional competence. Supplementary certificates are required for the carriage of some specific dangerous goods. These supplementary requirements apply to:

  • carriage by tanker lorries or tank containers;
  • carriage of explosives (class 1);
  • carriage of radioactive substances (class 7).

ADR basic certificate

If you want to obtain the ADR certificate (in Dutch) for the first time in the Netherlands, you must take a training course at an institute that is recognised by the CBR. You can find a list of approved training institutes (in Dutch) on the CBR website.

Extension of ADR certificate

An ADR certificate is valid for 5 years. To extend your certificate you need take the extension exam (in Dutch). If your certificate has expired, you need to take the initial exam again.

Foreign ADR certificate

If you are in possession of a foreign ADR certificate (in Dutch) that is in accordance with the prescribed model, this certificate is valid in all ADR countries, including the Netherlands. You cannot exchange it for a Dutch ADR certificate. If your foreign certificate has almost expired you can have it extended in the Netherlands by taking an extension test organised by the Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing (Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen, CBR). You must pass this test in the year before your foreign certificate expires. Your new certificate will be valid for 5 years. You can also extend your valid foreign ADR basic certificate with supplements (tanks, class 1, and class 7)

This article is related to: