Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

GMO permit

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you work with genetically modified organisms in the Netherlands, in most cases you need a GMO permit (GGO-vergunning) from the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management. You can obtain the permitExternal link (in Dutch) from the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), Bureau for Genetically Modified Organisms (Bureau GGO). There are 3 different request procedures:

  • Contained useExternal link (IG) (in Dutch) for activities within classified spaces, such as laboratories or animal shelters. These spaces have facilities for preventing the spread of organisms. Instead of applying for a licence, for some contained use activities you only have to notify the Bureau GGO.
  • Introduction into the environment (IM) for activities outside of a classified space, such as in gene therapy or field work.
  • Cultivation, production, import and export of new modified products (market inquiries).

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency