On this page
Do you own a nationally listed monument or a building of cultural or historical significance? You may qualify for a loan or subsidy for conservation (maintenance), a new designation for or restoration of your monument.
You can apply for the following schemes:
- Subsidy for a new designation (herbestemmingssubsidie, in Dutch) for emergency measures or research to find a new designation ofr buildings that cannot easily be repurposed. This includes churches, schools or industrial complexes.
- Subsidy for conservation of national monuments (subsidie instandhouding rijksmonumenten, Sim, in Dutch) to cover maintenance costs for monuments that are not used for housing.
- A loan (in Dutch) from the National Restoration Fund to buy, restore or redesignate a monument or to make it more sustainable.
You can apply for subsidies for a new designation for monuments such as churches, industrial buildings, schools, farm sheds, monasteries and castles under the Subsidy Scheme Stimulation New Use of Monuments (Subsidieregeling stimulering herbestemming monumenten).
The conservation scheme's most important conditions are:
- You own a nationally protected church, mill, factory or other national monument not intended as dwelling, or an archeological or natural ('green') monument.
- Conservation maintenance, based on a 6-year conservation plan, should be sober and pragmatic.
Restoration and energy saving measures
For the restoration of listed buildings that are not houses, such as factories or churches, you can apply for a low-interest loan to the National Restoration Fund. Owners of a listed house can apply for a single loan with regard to restoration and energy saving measures.
When do you qualify?
- You meet the criteria for the herbestemmingssubsidie (in Dutch)
- You meet the criteria for the Sim (in Dutch)
- You meet the criteria for the loan from the National Restoration Fund (in Dutch)
How to apply
- You can apply for a herbestemmingssubsidie (in Dutch) from 1 October up to 1 December through the Rijksdienst voor Cultureel Erfgoed
- You can apply for the Sim (in Dutch from 1 February up to 1 April through the Rijksdienst voor Cultureel Erfgoed
- You can apply for a loan (in Dutch) from the National Restoration Fund all year round