On this page
Do you sell cigarettes? You may only sell smoking products in neutral (plain) packages. This means leaving off brand specific logo’s, colours and typefaces.
Plain packaging in this case means dark green-brown packaging with:
- the name of the manufacturer in a standard typeface
- information in the type of cigarette
- the mandatory health warnings (text and picture)
This rule will apply for cigarettes and cut tobacco (rolling tobacco) fom 1 October 2020. You may sell out your old stock. For other products such as cigars and electronic cigarettes plain packaging will be required from 1 January 2022.
- Producers and importers of cigarettes and rolling tobacco
- Owners and employees of shops selling cigarettes and rolling tobacco
This change will be effective from 1 October 2020.
Please note: The effective date of this measure is not yet final. Entry into force is subject to its passing through the upper and lower houses of parliament or proclamation of the Order in Council (Algemene Maatregel van Bestuur, AMvB) or ministerial decree and publication in the Staatsblad or Staatscourant (in Dutch).