Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Healthcare insurance

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Entrepreneurs are, just like everyone else in the Netherlands, obliged to take out health insuranceExternal link under the Healthcare Insurance Act (Zorgverzekeringswet, Zvw). The mandatory basic package of the healthcare insurance will cover the default healthcare provided by a general practitioner, hospital or pharmacy, for instance.

Excess and additional coverage

The healthcare insurance is subject to a mandatory excess. This means you pay the first part of the care you receive yourself. The excess rate is set annually. In addition to the mandatory basic health insurance, which covers medical care included in the basic package, you can take out additional coverage via your health insurer.

Self-employed professionals and ZVW

If you are a self-employed professional and the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration considers your income to be the result from other activities (ROW), you will have to pay a ZVW contribution. To this end they will send you an assessment.

Healthcare benefit entitlement

Healthcare benefit is a contribution to the costs of your healthcare insurance. Whether you are entitled to healthcare benefitExternal link (in Dutch) depends on your income level, among other things. You can apply for healthcare benefit (External linkzorgtoeslag)External link(in Dutch) via the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.

Employing uninsured workers

All employees in the Netherlands must take out Dutch healthcare insurance. If someone fails to do so, the Dutch Central Administration Office (CAK) will do this for them. Their employer will have to withhold the monthly premiumExternal link (in Dutch) for this insurance from their regular wages and pay this to CAK.


The Healthcare Insurance Act also applies if you do not live in the Netherlands, but if you are insured in the Netherlands for the Exceptional Medical Expenses Act. You are then required to have basic health insurance. Besides this, you may be entitled to healthcare benefitExternal link (in Dutch).

If you live in one EU country and work in another, you need an S1 formExternal link. You can request this form from your health care insures of health insurance fund.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO