If your employees work with hoisting and lifting machines, you must meet the requirements of the Working Conditions Decree (Arbeidsomstandighedenbesluit), which include the following:
- Hoisting and lifting machines must be approved before they are used for the first time, and subsequently on an annual basis.
- Each proof of approval must be available at the work site.
- Operators of hoisting and lifting machines must be sufficiently skilled to operate them. To operate mobile (tower) cranes with a capacity of 10 Ton Meter or more, your employees need a certificate of professional competence. Foreign crane operators who work in the Netherlands need a certificate from the Foundation Supervising the Certification of Vertical Transport (TCVT) (in Dutch).
- Hoisting and lifting machines that are intended for moving goods must not be used to transport people.
- The maximum permissible load must be clearly indicated on the machines.
- Weights in excess of the maximum permissible load must not be lifted, except in a test situation to determine whether the machine is in proper working order.