Do you breed animals? You may need a zootechnical certificate.
Do you run a breeding operation or breed society and do you want to issue zootechnical certificates? You must be a recognised breeding organisation to issue these certificates.
A zootechnical certificate is proof that:
- an animal or its germinal product (such as semen, germ cells or embryos) is purebred
- an animal is entered in a pedigree book when they enter the EU or are traded in within the EU
The zootechnical certificates states among others, information on the pedigree and identification of the animal or its germinal product(s).
Applying for a zootechnical certificate
Do you breed purebred animals? You must have a zootechnical certificate if:
- you want to sell the animal, and
- you want to register the animal or its offspring from germinal products in a different pedigree book for the same breed
You can apply for a zootechnical certificate to an approved breeding organisation.
Issuing zootechnical certificates
Do you want to issue zootechnical certificates for purebred animals? You must apply for recognition as a breeding organisation to the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (Rijksdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland, RVO, in Dutch). You can apply if you are a breeding operation or a breed society. To be recognised you must fulfil the requirements (in Dutch). You must for instance have an approved breeding programme.
As a recognised breed society you can issue zootechnical certificates for:
- purebred breeding animals (Equidae, pigs, sheep, goats, cows and buffaloes)
- germinal products of purebred breeding animals (semen, germ cells and embrys)
As a recognised breeding operation you can issue zootechnical certificates for:
- hybrid breeding pigs (cross between breeding pigs of different breeds or lines)
- germinal products of hybrid breeding pigs
Information in the certificate
You have to put the correct information in the zootechnical certificate. You can download model zootechnical certificates (in Dutch) or view the EU's English-language model certificates. For Equidae the certificate consists of 2 parts.
A pedigree book (stamboek) is a register that states the lineage and characteristics of pedigree animals. If you breed animals, you may request for recognition (in Dutch) to maintain a pedigree book for cows, buffalo, pigs, goats, sheep or equidae from the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO). You are not obligated to have recognition, you are allowed to keep a pedigree book without recognition.
Online application procedure via Message Box
You can apply for recognition also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.