Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Reporting industrial accidents

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

As an employer in the Netherlands, you are obliged to report industrial accidentsExternal link to the SZW Inspectorate (Inspectie SZW) if the accidents result in the following:

  • death
  • permanent injury, such as blindness, amputation or chronic complaints
  • hospitalisation

If the victim dies, you must report the accident by telephone immediately. If the result of the accident is permanent injury or hospitalisation, you report this immediately by telephone or online. SZW Inspectorate will decide if they need to investigate the accident as soon as possible. Until that time, you need to leave the scene of the accident untouched. If you fail to report a notifiable accident, SZW Inspectorate can impose a fine of €50,000. You will find more information in the brochure Industrial accidents requiring notificationExternal link and in the Major Accidents LegislationExternal link.

Keeping records

You must keep a record of all reported accidents and accidents that resulted in more than 3 days of sick leave. You must record the nature and date of any accidents. This information must be available to your employees.

Compensation for next of kin

The next of kin of victims of a serious and permanent industrial injury or victims who die as a result of an event for which you are liable as entrepreneur, are eligible for compensation. The amount of compensation varies between € 12,500 and € 20,000 depending on the situation of the next of kin. This regulation applies to dependents such as the spouse, children and stepchildren as well as the parents of the victim.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO