VAT refund from another EU Member State

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you own a company in the Netherlands and did you pay VAT in another EU Member State? You may reclaim this VAT in the Netherlands. You must satisfy these conditionsExternal link (in Dutch):

  • the amount of VAT is at minimum €50 if you submit the reclaim after the calendar year. If you want to reclaim during the calendar year in which you paid the VAT, the threshold is €400. You may reclaim a lower amount, but then the country to which you apply may decide to not take your request into consideration
  • your company is established in the Netherlands
  • you do not file VAT returns in the member state
  • you use the goods or services for company activities that are subject to VAT

You must submit your requestExternal link (in Dutch) before 1 October of the year following the year for which you request a VAT refund.

Request login details

You need login details in order reclaim VAT from another EU member state. First you establish whether or not you qualify using the Dutch-language toolExternal link (scroll down). You can then request login details via the same tool from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. It can take up to 4 weeks to process your request.

Claim a VAT refund

If you own a company in the Netherlands and want to reclaim VAT from another EU Member StateExternal link (in Dutch), you submit an application for a VAT refund onlineExternal link via the (Dutch-language) Dutch Tax and Customs Administration's website. In the Dutch-language brochure Requirements and axplanation for requesting a VAT refund from other EU countriesExternal link (Vereisten en toelichting bij verzoek om teruggaaf btw uit andere EU-landen) you will find the information per country on which requirements your application must meet and what documents you need to enclose with your application. For more information in English you can consult the European Commission’s Tax Information Communication databaseExternal link (TIC).

The Dutch Tax and Customs Administration will forward your request to the Tax Department in the Member State where you wish to make the claim. That country will process your request.

Dutch VAT refund

Different rulesExternal link apply if you are you established as an entrepreneur in another EU country or outside the EU and you want to reclaim Dutch VAT.

European Commission e-learning module

The free of charge e-learning moduleExternal link on the European Commission website will teach you how to apply for your VAT to be returned from another EU state step-by-step.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO