Logo of the Dutch government

Zoo Licence

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Nederlandse versie

Do you want to keep wild animals in a zoo in the Netherlands? You must ensure good care and housing. You will need a licence to run a zoo. You apply for a zoo licence (in Dutch) to the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. This alo applies to for instance:

  • butterfly gardens
  • bird parks
  • petting zoos with protected species
  • nature information/visitors centres

When is a zoo licence mandatory?

A zoo licence is mandatory if you:

  • keep protected animal species
  • keep more than 10 species of wild animals
  • care for or shelter protected or wild and/or protected animals for longer than 12 months
  • show these animals to the public at least 7 days per year

You must meet requirements regarding housing, animal care, registration of animals, and working methods to be eligible for a zoo licence. Specific conditions for supplying information to the public apply as well. You submit your application for a zoo licence to the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO, in Dutch).

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for a zoo licence also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1