Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearchHomeRunning your businessInternational businessImport

Import licences or import certificates

This information is provided by:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNederlandse versie

You may need an import licence or import certificate to import goods. This article tells you if you need these documents and where you can apply for them.

Licensing requirement for imports

Some products are subject to strict import rules. If you want to import such products, you may need an import licence, import certificate, or another document. Sometimes a licensing requirement applies only to certain products from certain countries.

Applying for an import licence or import certificate

Different authorities issue these documents for different products. Licensing authorities include the Customs Central Import and Export Office (CDIU), Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO, in Dutch), and Farmatec (in Dutch). These authorities issue permits and certificates for strategic goods, agricultural products, and endangered alien animal or plant species, and products thereof, as well as medicines.

How can I tell if I need an import licence or certificate?

There is no standardised list of products for which you need an import licence or certificate. However, the KVK website is a good place to start your search. Here, you will find an overview of products to which import restrictions and import regulations may apply.

Related articles

To top