Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Remission of municipal and water authority taxes

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Small independent businesses in the Netherlands that are not able to pay their municipal or Regional Water Authority taxes, may be eligible for a full or partial remission. The municipality will assess whether or not a business qualifies for remission based on their income, assets and expenditure.

It only concerns taxes that are not related to the company or the profession it practises:

As your income will be determined later on, you will first be granted a postponement of payment.

Corona crisis: temporary payment extension of water authority tax

Are you unable to pay the water authority tax in time? Most Regional Water Authorities allow you to apply for a temporary extension of payment. The extension will be for a specific limited time of 3 to 6 months. Check with your Regional Water AuthorityExternal link (in Dutch) if you are eligible for an extension and for how long. It has also been made easier to apply for a payment arrangement. You then pay the water authority tax in parts over an extended period.

When do you qualify?

  • You are a self-employed person.
  • You have a small payment capacity.
  • You have no capital.

How to apply?

You apply for a remission to your municipalityExternal link or Regional Water AuthorityExternal link.

Please note: Municipalities and Regional Water Authorities are not obliged by law to remit taxes. Ask your municipality or water authority whether a remission is possible.

This article is related to:

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO