Start a business with incapacity benefit

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
< 1 min read
Nederlandse versie

Do you live in the Netherlands and do you have a long-term occupational disability? In some cases you may be eligible for support to start your own business.

What type of support can you get?

You can get support in the form of:

  • a business start-up credit or business planning and development credit
  • a supplement on your income
  • transport facilities or an allowance for services, such as reading assistance or deaf interpreting.

When do you qualify?

You must satisfy at least the following conditions:

  • You receive benefit under the Work and Income (Capacity for Work) Act (WIA), the Invalidity Insurance Act (WAO), the Invalidity Insurance (Self-Employed Persons) Act (WAZ), the Invalidity Insurance (Young Disabled Persons) Act (Wajong) or the Sickness Benefits Act (Ziektewet, ZW).
  • You have registered with the Employee Insurance Agency (Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV).
  • Your disability will most likely last longer than one year.
  • The facilities are required for your work.
  • You require the facilities because of your disability.
  • UWV believes that starting a business is a realistic option for you.

How to apply?

Applications can be submitted at any time. You can apply for this facility to the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV, in Dutch). For this, you should make an appointment with your employment expert to discuss your plans and options together.

Questions relating to this article?