Recognition as a Sponsor
To be recognised as a sponsor, your organisation must follow a procedure with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service, IND. After your organisation has been recognised as a sponsor, it will be listed in a public register, enabling highly skilled migrants to check if you are a recognised sponsor. Additionally, recognition has the following advantages:
- IND aims to decide within 2 weeks on applications from recognised sponsors.
- Recognised sponsors may enclose less documentary evidence with an application. In many cases, your own statement for admission, in which you state that the highly skilled migrant (and his family members) meets all the conditions for admission and stay in the Netherlands, is sufficient.
- Recognised sponsors for labour can contact IND directly via: email@example.com.
The following conditions apply to all organisations that want to become a recognised sponsor:
- The organisation must be listed in the Commercial Register, unless this is not required under the Commercial Registers Act 2007.
- The organisation may not be insolvent, nor may there be a suspension of payment.
- The organisation, the managing directors and other persons involved in the organisation must be reliable.
The IND may reject an application for recognition if:
- The organisation or the natural persons/legal entities involved in the organisation have become bankrupt/insolvent over the past 3 years.
- A tax negligence penalty has been imposed on the organisation over the past 4 years.
- 3 or more penalties under the Aliens Act, Labour Act for Aliens or Minimum Wage and Minimum Holiday Allowance Act have been imposed on the organisation over the past 4 years.
- The organisation, managing directors or other persons involved in the organisation have been prosecuted.
- If the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO.nl) has issued a negative advice on the continuity and solvency of the applicant.
How does the application procedure work?
At the IND website, you can download the application form for recognition as a sponsor. In the application form, you can state the category or categories for which your organisation wants to be recognised as a sponsor. There are 4 categories:
After the application, the IND will assess whether your organisation meets the conditions for recognition. If applicable, the IND will check with the Chamber of Commerce if the organisation has been listed in the Commercial Register. The judicial information about the managing directors and the organisation will also be checked. If necessary, the IND will request that you submit a Certificate of Good Conduct. You can apply for this certificate to the Central Agency for Certificates of Good Conduct (COVOG) of the Ministry of Justice Agency for Scrutiny, Integrity and Screening (Justis Department). If you have a one-man business, you can apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct to the Civil or Population Affairs department of the municipality where you are registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database.
Costs of the procedure
A fee is charged for an application for recognition as sponsor. Your organisation has to pay a fee when submitting the application for recognition. Your organisation must pay a fee for each category for which the organisation wants to be recognised. If the organisation does not pay the fee, the IND will not process the application. The organisation will not receive a refund if the application is rejected.
Duration of the procedure
If the application for recognition is complete, the IND will often reach a decision within 4 weeks. The procedure will take no longer than 3 months. If your application is incomplete, or if the IND requires more data in order to make a decision, the period may be extended by 6 months. Your organisation will be informed of the decision in writing.
Is the application rejected and does your organisation disagree? In that case, your organisation can lodge an objection. The letter will state how you can do this.
Please note recognition is not compulsory if your employee has the Turkish nationality.