Startup visa

This information is provided by

Immigration and Naturalisation Service, IND | Netherlands Enterprise Agency RVO

Your visa during the corona crisis

If you are in the Netherlands and your visa is about to expire, you may be unable to leave the country due to the corona travel restrictions. Check the IND FAQ pageExternal link to see if your question is answered there, or contact the INDExternal link for information and advice

The Netherlands issues a Dutch startup visa to people from outside the European Union (EU) looking to start a business. The Dutch startup visa is a residence permit which is valid for a maximum of one year. In this year, you'll be expected to produce or introduce an innovative new product or service under the guidance of an experienced facilitatorExternal link.

Dutch Startup visa

The Dutch startup visa scheme makes it possible for ambitious entrepreneurs from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland to apply for a temporary residence permit for the Netherlands. This is referred to as a startup visaExternal link. The Dutch startup visa scheme allows entrepreneurs for a maximum of one year to get an innovative new business off the ground. It is mandatory to receive guidance from an experienced facilitator. This support helps you to grow from a startup into a fully fledged business. It is a win-win situation for the entrepreneur and Dutch society at large: you have a successful business, and the Dutch economy benefits.

How do I apply?

Your facilitator can submit your application for a Netherlands visa to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, IND), using the appropriate application formExternal link on their website. Doing so involves providing information about yourself, your business plan and your proposed method of operation.

Startup entrepreneurs still residing abroad can submit their application for a residence permit to the Dutch embassy or consulate in the country where they are living. This may or may not involve also applying for a provisional residence permit (mvv in Dutch). Check the IND information for startupsExternal link to see if you should apply for a provisional residence permit and a startup visa, or only for a startup visa.

There is an exception for startup entrepreneurs of Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand, USA and South Korean nationality. These entrepreneurs can submit an Netherlands visa application directly with the IND using the application form on the website.

Foreign nationals who have a valid residence permit and wish to change their residence permit to a residence permit for startup entrepreneurs can also use that application form.


The application feeExternal link must be paid upon submitting the application. The residence permit can be collected from the IND office or one of the Expat Centers in the Netherlands.

Conditions for a startup visa

For the assessment, the IND consults with the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (Rijksdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland, RVO), part of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy. There are five conditions that you'll have to satisfy:

close all

If your Netherlands visa application is approved, you'll receive a message that you can pick up your provisional residence permit at the Dutch consulate or embassy. Once you come to the Netherlands, you will receive a letter when and where to collect your startup visa.

What happens at the end of Year 1?

The startup visa allows you to stay and to work as an entrepreneur for a maximum of one year in the Netherlands. At the end of Year 1, you can apply for a permit to work on a self-employed basis.

Permits in general

In the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, IND) is responsible for issuing residence permits. Generally, rules and regulations vary depending on whether you're an EU or non-EU national, and on how long you're planning to stay.

If you don't have EU, EEA or Swiss nationality, and are coming to the Netherlands to live here and work as an entrepreneur, you'll need a residence permit. Depending on your country of origin, you may need to apply for a temporary and a residence permit. Find more information about this in the article Moving to the Netherlands as an entrepreneur or self-employed professional.

You may also need a residence permit if you come to the Netherlands as an employee. Your employer will have to apply to the Employee Insurance Agency's (Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV) work placement branch for a work permit. A one stop shop procedure allows you to apply for a single permitExternal link; a work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning) and a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning) in one.

This information is provided by

Immigration and Naturalisation Service, IND
Netherlands Enterprise Agency RVO