Accreditation of inspection bodies and laboratories

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Last updated on

Do you operate a certifying organisation, inspection body, or laboratory, that offers product testing services? Your company must be accredited by the Dutch Accreditation Council (Raad voor Accreditatie, RvA). You need an accreditation before you can test, inspect, or give out certificates.

When do you need accreditation?

You need an accreditation for assessing:

  • playground and amusement equipment
  • personal protective equipment
  • cranes
  • earth-moving machinery
  • construction products
  • (nuclear) pressure equipment
  • LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) installations
  • wind turbines
  • purification systems
  • waste products from dumping sites

Further, only accredited organisations are allowed to:

  • assess noise emissions from particular machines
  • analyse soil samples, water bottom samples, groundwater samples and fertilizer samples
  • take and analyse samples of tap water
  • examine DNA in criminal cases

Conditions for accreditation

RvA will recognise your organisation if it is expert, impartial and independent. RvA uses international standards (ISO or ISO/IEC) to assess if you comply with the requirements. The conditions for accreditation differ per product. RvA has a Dutch-language list with schemes for which accreditation can be granted (pdf). You can also find more information in their document on all product groups and conditions. You may for instance need to have at least one establishment in the Netherlands. And you may also require a health and safety certificate.

Applying for an accreditation

Do you want to request an accreditation or extend an existing one? You can use one of the RvA application forms. For a new accreditation, for instance, you need form F001a. Form 105 is for extending your accreditation and then there is a range of forms for supplementary accreditation.

Applying digitally through the Message Box

With Message Box you can submit a digital application for accreditation to the Dutch Accreditation Council (RvA). Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

EU accreditation

All European accreditation organisations are part of the European co-operation for Accreditation (EA). Are you already recognised by an accreditation body in another EU Member State? This accreditation is also valid in the Netherlands. Likewise, an RvA accreditation is valid in other EU countries. The Nando Information System gives you an overview of notified bodies in the European Union.

Certification schemes

Products are tested based on certification schemes. When you have determined that a particular product complies with safety and environmental standards, you may issue a certificate of approval to the applicant.


The RvA checks accredited organisations regularly to make sure they still meet the requirements and can retain their accreditation. Together with the The Netherlands Labour Authority (NLA), RvA monitors certifying and inspection bodies (in Dutch).

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO