Logo of the Dutch government

Applying for a conversion permit for letting accommodation

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Last updated on

If you want to let out part of a residential property in the Netherlands, you may require a conversion permit (omzettingsvergunning kamerverhuur) from your municipal authority. This permit allows you to change your independent residential accommodation into non-independent accommodation.

Non-indepedent occupancy

Non-independent means the units do not have their own front door. A permit, if required, can be issued for both rented and owner-occupied properties. The conditions vary depending on the municipality and are laid down in the local municipal Housing Regulations (Huisvestingsverordening).

Letting fee

If a letting agent assists both landlord and potential tenants, the landlord incurs the letting fee.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for this conversion permit also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy & CookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterYourEurope, this webpage is part of an EU quality networkAccessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1