Property merger or division permit

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOLast updated on Nederlandse versie

As a homeowner in the Netherlands, if you want to have your property converted into several flats, you may need a permit.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

Do you own a building in the Netherlands? And do you want to have your property converted into several flats, which you can then let individually? Or do you want to merge several adjacent flats into one property? You may need a permit from your municipal authorities.

Property division

If you wish to divide a property into several apartments you may require a property division permit from the municipality. The conditions differ according to municipality and are laid down in the local Housing Regulations (Huisvestingsverordening). The division into separate units must be specified in a notarial deed.

Property merger

Do you own 2 adjacent houses, or a house divided into an upper and a lower apartment, and do you want to merge these homes into 1 home? It depends on the municipality if you require a property merger permit and what the conditions are.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for a property merger or division permit also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

Related articles

This webpage is part of an EU quality network