Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearch

Applying for a market permit

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOLast updated on Nederlandse versie

To run a market stall as a trader in the Netherlands, you will need a market permit (marktvergunning) from the municipal authority where the market is held.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

To run a market stall as a trader in the Netherlands, you need a market permit (marktvergunning). Market permits are issued by the local municipal authority. To be eligible, you must be registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KVK). You can find all relevant conditions in the market by-laws of the municipality in question.

Please note: A market permit is not the same as a market trader's licence. You need a market trader's licence if you want to sell food or goods from a stand or van, on or near a public road. Do you want to sell products from a stall without a fixed place? In some municipalities you need a street trader’s licence.

Costs for a market permit

When you apply for a market permit you have to pay municipal administrative charges (leges). The amount depends on:

  • the municipality in question
  • the type of stall (permanent, periodical, or seasonal)
  • the size of your market stall

Consult your municipal authority for the costs to obtain a market trader’s licence.

Municipal tax on encroachments on or above public land (precario)

The municipal authority may charge an additional tax for use of public land (precariobelasting) separately. Some municipal authorities include this tax in their market trader’s licence costs.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for a market permit also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

Related articles

To top