This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

The Dutch Copyright Act (Auteurswet) automatically protects the copyright of works of literature, science or art from the moment the work is created, on condition that the work in question is an original work. If you are an author or maker, you determine what happens with your work. For instance you decide how others use, copy or display your work. Copyright is laid down in the Dutch Copyright Act.

When does copyright apply?

The Dutch Copyright Act only protects your work if it meets the following 3 conditions:

  • Your work is original and personal, it cannot be similar to works of others.
  • Your work is perceptible by senses. This implies that your work is visible, readable or hearable.
  • Your work does not concern a technical product or production process. In this case you must apply for a patent.
Examples of copyright protected works are:
  • books
  • music
  • films
  • paintings and drawings
  • software
  • video games
  • apps
  • architectural drawings
  • photos
  • videos
Examples of work that are not protected include catalogues, manuals, timetables, theatre programs and telephone directories. You do not need to register or file your work. Copyright is automatic, free-of-charge and copyright protection applies internationally.

Transfer of copyright

As an author or maker, you can transfer copyright in whole or in part (in Dutch):

  • You can issue the rights under licence to a museum or publisher for example. In this case, copyright remains with the author or maker, but permission is given to the museum or publisher to display, disseminate or copy the work. This must be agreed in writing.
  • In the case of copyright transfer, the author ‘sells’ his work to another party. The other party then holds copyright. This must also be agreed in writing.Contact the Sector Organisation for the Book and Magazine Publishing Industry (in Dutch)

Copyright violation

Is your work used without your permission, for example distributed, printed or published on the internet? Then this is a copyright violation (in Dutch). You can have further distribution prohibited by the court. You can also demand compensation for the damages.

Copyright after death

If you die, copyright is automatically transferred to your heirs. Copyright ceases to apply 70 years after the death of the work’s creator.

Copyright contract law

In addition to copyright law, there is also copyright contract law (in Dutch), which aims to strengthen the position of the author and performer in exploitation agreements with publishers, record companies, and film producers. The contract gives the exploitation organisation permission to exploit their work in return for compensation. Exploitation contracts state that the maker has the:

  • right to a fair renumeration;
  • right to a higher renumeration if the work becomes very successful;
  • right to end the contract with the exploitation organisaiton if the work is not properly exploited;
  • right to remove unfair demands in the exploitation contract.

Neighbouring rights

Neighbouring rights (naburige rechten) are applicable to performing artists, producers of phonograms, film producers and broadcasting organisations. The performing artist has to give permission before another party records, broadcasts or sells a performance. These rights can also be transferred. Neighbouring rights originate automatically and provide a 50-year term of protection. A 70-year term of protection applies to an executive musician or a producer.

Database law

Databases and collections of works which took a great deal of time to compile can be protected under database law and copyright law. If you want to use a database you must ask permission from the person who created it.

Lending rights

In the lending of books, CDs, video films or art, the copyright owners have a right to compensation. The Public Lending Rights Office (Stichting Leenrecht) therefore collects payments from libraries, toy libraries, CD lenders and art leasing galleries. The Rights Office then distributes these payments to organisations representing copyright owners, such as Lira (a foundation representing writers, translators and journalists) and Pictoright (which represents image makers and press photographers). These organisations handle the further distribution among right holders.

Portrait right

If you film or photograph people, you will be the owner of the copyright but not the portrait right. The portrait right allows the portrayed person to prohibit the publication or copying of the photo or film. In many cases you must ask permission to publish a portrait. Portrait right falls under copyright laws.

Collective management organisation

Most authors of work (including composers, musicians and film makers) exercise their copyrights through a collective management organisation (CMO), such as the:

  • Bureau of Musical Copyright (Buma/Stemra)
  • Dutch Foundation for the Exploitation of Neighbouring Rights (Sena)
  • Reprographic Reproduction Rights Foundation (Stichting Reprorecht)
  • Dutch Private Copying Society (Stichting de Thuiskopie)

These collective management organisations are affiliated to the Association of Organisations for the Collective Management of Intellectual Property Rights (Vereniging van Organisaties die Intellectueel eigendom Collectief Exploiteren, VOI©E). CMOs are subject to an EU directive on copyright and related rights.


The Dutch Copyright Supervisory Board (College van Toezicht Auteursrecht, CvTA, in Dutch) supervises several of these collective management organisations (in Dutch).


If you wish to file a complaint against any of these collective management organisations as a user of work protected under copyright law, you must first contact the relevant organisation. They all have their own dispute settlement system. If your complaint has either not been settled or has not been properly settled, you can contact VOI©E. If the collective management organisation has joined the Dutch Foundation for Consumer Complaints Boards, you may want to bring in their Copyright Disputes Committee for businesses (in Dutch).

Independent Management Entity

An Independent Management Entity (IME) functions much in the same way as a CMO as it manages copyright or rights related to copyright on behalf of rightholders. However it is neither owned or controlled, directly, indirectly, wholly or in part, by rightholders, and it is organised on a for-profit basis.

Licences for music copyright mediation

If you want to mediate in music copyrights, you will need a licence from the Ministry of Justice and Safety. The licence is to perform musical works in public and on musical radio and television programmes. You do not need a licence if you make the music available on the internet, through downloads or streaming.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO