Energy labels

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

In the Netherlands, some product categories must carry an energy label. The energy label includes information about the product's energy consumption and efficiency in comparison to similar products.


All new cars in the showroom of a car dealership must have an energy label that states the car's fuel economy in relation to other cars of the same category. Depending on the energy label, the purchaser of a car may receive a discount the purchase tax (private vehicle and motorcycle tax, BPM).

Car tyres

Do you sell car tyres? You must include a European tyre label. This gives information about the fuel economy, safety and noise production of the tyre. All European car tyre sellers need to use the European label:

  • All tyres on your premises should carry the label (sticker)
  • You must inform clients about the label
  • The invoice should state the tyre label

Electrical equipment

An energy label is obligatory for electrical household appliances such as:

  • fridges and freezers
  • washing machines
  • washer-dryers
  • dishwashers
  • ovens
  • lighting products
  • air conditioners

Manufacturers must measure the device in accordance with a fixed formula. The details will be recorded on a label which you must send to the shopkeeper along with the product. The shopkeeper attaches the label to the device. The energy label must always be visible on the product, even if it is displayed in a showroom.

The labels on electrical appliances has been simplified. The A (most energy efficient) to G (least energy efficient) scale still applies, but the addition of + to +++ has been scrapped.

Since 1 January 2019, manufacturers and importers must register appliances which require an energy label in the European Product Database for Energy Labelling (EPREL), before selling them on European markets.

Homes and other buildings

Homes and other buildings must have an energy performance certificate when they are being built, sold or rented. The owner must hand over the certificate to the purchaser or tenant. The energy certificate provides information about the energy quality of the home or building and must be issued by a certified advisor. It expires after 10 years from the issue date.

Public buildings

Public buildings, such as schools, offices, shops or hospitals should also have an energy label when they are built, sold or rented out. You can get a label from an energy adviser. The label is valid for a maximum of 10 years.

If you own a public building with a surface area of more than 250 m2, you must place the energy label clearly visible to all visitors, for instance at the reception desk or near the entrance of the building. Examples of public buildings are shops, supermarkets, restaurants, theatres, banks and hotels.


Home owners that have DigiD (electronic verification for Dutch residents) or businesses with eHerkenning (eRecognition) can draft an energy label for their own premises. This can be done digitally through (in Dutch). A remote, certified expert will verify the data you have entered, after which you will be sent the final energy label. You have the additional option to choose an extended energy index, which indicates the energy performance of the building.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO