In the Netherlands, if there is a danger of a gas explosion or of any other hazardous substance exploding on your company’s premises, you must comply with the provisions of the European Directive on explosion safety: ATEX-153. You are required in certain cases to draw up an explosion safety document (or have one drawn up for you). The explosion safety document is part of the risk inventory and evaluation. You must draw up the explosion safety document before work commences. The issues addressed by the safety document must include:
- identification of explosion risks;
- assessment of explosion risks;
- measures to prevent explosions and explosion hazards;
- division into explosion hazard zones;
- description of the design, operation and maintenance of equipment and work areas.
You must modify the document in the event of a change in your work areas, equipment or working procedures.
Machinery and safety systems
If you manufacture machines or safety systems that are used at locations where there is a danger of an explosion, this equipment must meet the requirements laid out in European Directive 92/94 (ATEX 114).