On this page
Is there a potential explosion hazard on your company premises? You must protect your employees and take measures to optimise safety.
You should take the following actions to prevent danger:
- Make sure there are no flammable substances present
- If this is not possible, make sure explosives cannot come into contact with potential ignition sources
- If an explosion occurs, ensure that the impact stays limited and that it does not cause another, bigger explosion.
Explosion safety document
You have to draw up an explosion safety document (or have one drawn up for you) before work starts. The explosion safety document is part of the risk inventory and evaluation. The safety document must include:
- identification of explosion risks
- assessment of explosion risks
- measures to prevent explosions and explosion hazards
- division into explosion hazard zones
- description of the design, operation and maintenance of equipment and work areas
- the way employees are informed about risks
You must modify the document in the event of a change in your work areas, equipment or working procedures. Use the checklist (in Dutch) to find out if your explosion safety document is complete.
Machinery and safety systems
If you manufacture machines or safety systems that are used at locations where there is a danger of an explosion, this equipment must meet the requirements laid out in European Directive 92/94 (ATEX 114).