Logo of the Dutch government

Working in enclosed spaces

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

In the Netherlands, companies must protect employees who work in enclosed spaces. Construction companies must have a Health and Safety Plan. Read more.

In the Netherlands, if you have employees who work in enclosed spaces such as cellars, cooling cells, or sea containers, you must protect them against

Inspection and measuring

You must have an expert (a seafety expert or gas analyst) inspect the space and measure whether hazardous substances or toxic gases are present. Employees may only access the space after measurements have shown that there is no danger.

Construction sector

In the construction sector you must have a Health and Safety Plan (Veiligheids- en gezondheidsplan, V&G-plan) in place for work in enclosed spaces. You incorporate your risk inventory and evaluation (RI&E) and your company emergency response plan in the Health and Safety Plan. You must put measures to prevent certain dangers in the company emergency response plan. Also, a superior must inform and instruct employees about dangers, measures and procedures.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1