Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

GGD inspection of childcare

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you want to open a childcare facility (childcare centre, childminding agency or playgroup) in the Netherlands, you must submit an application for registration in the National Childcare and Playgroup Register (Landelijk Register Kinderopvang en Peuterspeelzalen, LRKP) to your municipal authority before the opening. Once you have submitted this application, an inspector of the Municipal Health Service (Gemeentelijke Gezondheidsdienst, GGD) will review the quality of your childcare facility. Based on the outcome, the municipality will decide whether your facility will be included in the register.

Annual inspections

Thereafter, a GGD inspector will annually verify whether your childcare facility fulfils the national quality requirements. The GGD inspector will pay an unannounced visit and will check your facility for, among other things:

The GGD inspector checks by:

  • observation
  • interviews with managment
  • interviews with staff
  • documentation
  • interviews with the parents' committee

Risk profiles for childcare

The GGD inspector uses risk profilesExternal link when inspecting your childcare facility. Each risk profile has a colour (red, orange, yellow or green). The colour determines how intensively your facility will be inspected. The risk profile of each childcare facility will be reviewed every year.

GGD inspection report

After the inspection, the GGD inspector will prepare a report. The GGD inspection reports are public. You must publish the report on your website. If you do not have a website, you must make the report available for inspection at a location that is accessible to parents and staff. The reports can also be consulted via the (Dutch-language) National Childcare and Playgroup RegisterExternal link website.

Information about all childminding centres in the Netherlands can also be found on the (Dutch-language) website Childcare MapExternal link (Kinderopvangkaart.nl), which is connected to the National Childcare and Playgroup Register.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency