Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Hunting licences and fauna management

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In the Netherlands you may hunt for mallard, hare, pheasant, wood pigeon and rabbit during a specific period. It is forbidden to hunt outside this period or to hunt for other animal species, such as red deer, roe and wild boar. This is only allowed if the provincial authorities have given you an exemption for management and damage control purposes. You must comply with terms and conditions on, for example, hunting grounds and hunting gear. If you want to hunt with a rifle, you also need a hunting licence. You can obtain a hunting licence from the chief of police in your regionExternal link.

Duck decoy permit

A duck decoy (duck-trap pond) used in hunting must be registeredExternal link (PDF) (Dutch) with the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. The registration must be renewed every 5 years.

Falconry permit

If you want to hunt using a falcon or hawk, or you want to manage game with a falcon, hawk or harris hawk, you need a falconry permitExternal link (Dutch) from the Netherlands Enterprise Agency.

Fauna Management Unit recognition

If you want your Cooperation of Gamekeepers (Fauna Management Unit, FBE) recognised, please apply for this at your provincial authority. In a fauna management plan your FBE details the management of the animal species.

Online application procedure via Message Box

At the province of Noord-Brabant you can apply for the Fauna Management Unit recognition digitally via Message Box. Message Box is a secure e-mail system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency