Logo of the Dutch government

Licence financial services provider

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Nederlandse versie

Do you provide financial services in the Netherlands? You must have a licence from the Authority Financial Markets (Authoriteit Financiƫle Markten, AFM) or the Dutch Central Bank (De Nederlandsche Bank, DNB).

Licences for financial activities

Before you provide a financial service, you need to apply for a licence. Your application is assessed by either the AFM, DNB, or both, depending on the type of financial activity.

When do you need to apply to AFM?

You must apply for a licence to AFM if you are:

When do you need to apply to DNB?

You have to apply for a licence to DNB if you are:

Requirements for applying as a financial service provider

You need to have a professional indemnity insurance (beroepsaansprakelijkheidsverzekering, BAV) to apply. Your company needs to be financially healthy and should operate in accordance with the Law on financial monitoring (Wet financieel toezicht, Wft).

If you are granted a licence, your business conduct is supervised by the AFM. The Dutch Central Bank carries out prudential supervision to ensure financial stability of your financial institution.

Assessment of policymakers

Are you in charge of policy, a supervisory board member, or a co-policymaker at a financial institution? Persons who (co)determine the company policy must be trustworthy and suitable for the performance of their tasks. They must pass an assessment by the AFM or DNB in line with the Policy Rule on Suitability 2012 (Beleidsregel Geschiktheid 2012). This means your knowledge, competences, integrity, and professional conduct are assessed based on, among others, your education and experience.

Notifying as a healthcare insurer

If you intend to operate as a healthcare insurer, you must notify the Dutch Healthcare Authority (Nederlandse Zorgautoriteit, NZa) on top of your registration as an insurance provider. To do so you must submit a model agreement (in Dutch). The NZa checks if the model agreement meets the requirements of the Healthcare Insurance Act.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1