Business insurance

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
< 1 min read
Nederlandse versie

Business insurances cover risks that you run as a result of having a company. In the Netherlands, you are not obliged to insure against these risks. However, some insurances are compulsory.

Compulsory insurances

You must have these insurances:

  • Third party car insurance (according to the Dutch Motor Insurance Liability Act, WAM) if you use and/or own motor vehicles
  • Buildings insurance (opstalverzekering) if you own a commercial building or other immovable property (your mortgage lender requires this insurance)
  • Professional indemnity insurance (Beroepsaansprakelijksheidsverzekering, BAV) or business liability insurance (Bedrijfsaansprakelijkheidsverzekering, AVB) for some professions (required by the professional association)

Voluntary insurances

You can insure voluntarily for professional risks, for instance:

Closing down your business

If you close down your business, you need to decide whether you have to cancel all or some of your (business) insurances.

This article is related to:

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO