Working with municipal personal records database (BRP)

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Every municipal authority in the Netherlands has a Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie personen,BRP). The BRP contains personal records on all residents, and on those who have left the country (non-residents). Persons who stay in the Netherlands for less than 4 months may be registered as non-residents, for instance because they temporarily work or study in the Netherlands. These data are not accessible to the general public.

Access to the BRP

Do you need access to data in the BRP? Access to data in the BRP is only granted if it is of importance to society ánd with permission from the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations. Some governmental agencies such as the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst) and the Dutch Social Insurance Bank (SVB) are allowed to work with personal data from the BRP. Other organisations, for example hospitals, pension funds, and health insurance companies, may work with the data as well. Such organisations need to apply for access and keep to strict rules. Research institutions can also apply for access to the BRP.

To be allowed access to the BRP (in Dutch), first you apply for permission to the National Office for Identity Data (Rijksdienst voor Identiteitsgegevens, RvIG). You must state the data you wish to use, on which persons, and for what tasks or purposes. Furthermore, the computer system you use must satisfy the security requirements. Then the minister will decide if access is granted (authorisation decision).

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can also request approval to (regularly) perform work in the municipal population register digitally using Message Box. You must submit your application to the National Office for Identity Data (RvIG). Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

One-time request for BRP data

Do you need data from the BRP once only? For instance, for research or for your own data? You can request the data from your municipality. Data from the BRP will not be issued for commercial purposes.

This article is related to: