Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

Citizen service number

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency

In the Netherlands, residents and non-residents who stay up to 4 months receive a citizen service numberExternal link (burgerservicenummer, BSN). This applies to anyone who is registered with the municipal personal records or, for non-residents, with the Non-residents Records Database (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNIBSN). You can use the BSN to identify yourself to government agencies, health care providers and educational institutions.

Citizen service number employees

If you hire a new employee, you must record their citizen service number in your payroll accounts. If they are foreign and their stay does not exceed 4 months, they will be given a citizen service number after registration with the Non-residents Records DatabaseExternal link (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI). They can register themselves with RNI at one of 19 dedicated municipalitiesExternal link. If your foreign employee's stay exceeds a 4 months period, they must register with their municipality. They may have to apply for a residence permit and/or a work permit as well.

Citizen service number for healthcare, childcare and rented homes

For the childcare allowance, childcare organisations are required to ask for the parents' BSN and their child's BSN. Health insurance companies and landlords collect this information for the purposes of the healthcare and rent allowance. The BSN is included in the patient/client data exchanged by healthcare providers, assessment bodies and health insurance companies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency