On this page
Do you manufacture, distribute or sell consumer products (non-food)? And do you discover your product is unsafe? You must report this to the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (Nederlandse Voedsel- en Warenautoriteit, NVWA).
If you do not notify the NVWA of an unsafe product you may be fined. Or you may receive a written warning or official report.
Locating unsafe products
All businesses in the entire chain play a part in locating and reporting (in Dutch) unsafe consumer products.
- As a producer you must assess the risk of your product, examine it and adjust it if necessary.
- As a distributor you must gather, supply and pass on information on the product.
- As a retailer you must supply information on unsafe products immediately to your suppliers.
Reporting an unsafe product
Have you discovered an unsafe product? You must report this to the NVWA. You can also submit your notification through the European Product Safety Business Alert Gateway. You may have another company in the chain notify the unsafe product. Your customers can also report unsafe products.
Whoever discovered the problem remains responsible for the notification.
You must report:
- the risks of the unsafe product
- what you have done or will do to eliminate the risk(s)
You must also notify your suppliers.
After the notification
After your report the NVWA will assess:
- if you complied with the rules
- what the risks to consumers health and safety are
- which measures you should take (all businesses in the chain should cooperate)
Is the health and safety risk high? Then you must recall the product and supply a safety warning to the NVWA (in Dutch). The NVWA will publish the warning on their website (in Dutch) and social media channels. Safety warnings are also published on the European Safety Gateway.
In some cases, the NVWA will make a RAPEX notification (Rapid Exchange of Information) to the European Commission. For instance, if the (non-food) consumer product is sold in several countries or if the product is found to be dangerous.