Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Paying for home-copying

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you are a manufacturer, importer of or trader in:

  • blank image carriers, such as external hard disk drives and e-readers,
  • blank image devices that can be used by consumers to make copies, such as PCs, laptops, tablets, MP3 players, smartphones, USB sticks and wearables,

you must pay a fee in order to partially compensate copyright owners for the loss of income due to home-copying. The amount of the fee dependsExternal link on the type of carrier or device. The fee is collected by the Dutch Home-Copying Foundation (Stichting de Thuiskopie). This fee has been dropped for CDs and DVDs.

Registration and statement

You must report the number of productsExternal link (see links at the bottom of the page) you have manufactured in or imported into the Netherlands to the foundation. You submit the statement immediately upon completion of production or immediately upon import. To be able to do so, you must first register with the FoundationExternal link.

Professional user

If you are a professional end user, you may be exempted from payingExternal link or you may be eligible for a refund of previously paid fees.


If you export the goods for which you have already paid home-copying fees, you can apply for a refundExternal link to the Foundation.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO