Permit for extracting groundwater or infiltrating groundwater

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Checked 6 Feb 2023
< 1 min read
Nederlandse versie

Do you want to extract groundwater (groundwater extraction) from the soil or return it to the soil (infiltration)? You need to apply for a permit to the province or water authority.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

You must apply for a groundwater extraction permit (grondwateronttrekkingsvergunning) to the provincial authority:

  • if you extract groundwater for industrial processes measuring more than 150,000 m3 per year
  • for public drinking water provision
  • for open ground source energy systems (using heat from the earth)

For other extractions you must apply for a permit to your regional water authority

For extractions less than 10m3 per hour you have to notify the province or water authority. You do not need a permit.

Registering groundwater extraction or infiltration

You have to keep records of the amount of groundwater you extract or infiltrate. And you have to report this to the province or water authority.

This webpage is part of an EU quality network

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO