Notification of availability and letting of vacant accommodation

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
< 1 min read
Nederlandse versie

In the Netherlands, landlords are required to notify the municipal authorities when a tenant moves out, leaving accommodation unoccupied. The municipal housing regulations specify to which accommodation this applies. When submitting the notification, you can recommend a new tenant.

Permit for temporary letting of vacant accommodation

You can rent out unoccupied accommodation temporarily under a number of conditions. However, you will require a permit from the municipal authorities. The permit is valid for a period of two years.

Ban on squatting

Squatting is illegal in the Netherlands and is punishable as an offence. This applies to any unlawful use of a property. It does not matter how long the premises has been vacant. If you are the owner of a property that has been taken over by squatters, you can report this to the police.

Long-term empty buildings

The municipalities have a number of instruments at their disposal to prevent office and shop buildings remaining vacant. The municipality can, for example, issue a vacant property order with a reporting obligation. In addition, the municipality can:

  • search for a solution for the vacant property in consultation with you as the owner;
  • suggest or appoint a lessee;
  • impose an administrative fine.

This article is related to:

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO