Registration and notification of (hazardous) industrial waste

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

In the Netherlands, you must keep a waste record if you dispose of, transport, treat or process or act as a dealer or broker of waste. In most cases the haulier of waste receives an accompanying note for the transport from the dispatcher. This note contains information about the haulier, sender and receiver, the waste products and details of the way in which the waste products will be processed. In exceptional cases, an accompanying note is not required. The haulier is required to carry the note on board his lorry at all times.

Reporting waste materials

Waste businesses such as incineration plants, landfill sites, composters, storage and transfer businesses, sorters and breakers are obliged to report the waste they receive to the National Waste Notification Bureau (Landelijk Meldpunt Afvalstoffen, LMA). This is done via the automated Electronic Waste Notification Information and Communication system (Afval Meldingen Informatie en Communicatie Elektronisch, AMICE). You must have a waste processor ID code for waste material receipt notifications. You can apply for this code at the National Waste Notification Bureau. In addition, you must issue waste stream numbers to the businesses that dispose of their waste via your business. The notification period is 4 weeks after the end of the month in which you received the waste materials.

The notification requirement also applies if your business disposes of waste by using it as building material, fertiliser or raw material.

Reporting a transfer of ship’s waste

If you want to transfer your ship’s waste, you must report this wish to the National Waste Notification Bureau (LMA). In order to do so, you complete the ship’s waste transfer form (S form, pdf). The completed form must remain on board your ship for 5 years.

Oil transfer log

In the Netherlands, if you navigate inland waterways in a professional capacity, you must have a valid oil transfer log (olieafgifteboekje) on board your ship. In the oil transfer log, you enter the quantity and type of waste produced by your ship. You are obliged to transfer the ship’s waste to a recognised waste reception facility. The operator of this reception facility will record the receipt of the ship’s waste in the transfer log. You can obtain a transfer log from the Inland Shipping Waste and Navigation Documents Foundation (SAB). SAB's Shipping Environmental Plan will help you prevent unnecessary waste and deal safely with inevitable waste.

Online application and registration via Message Box

Besides AMICE, you can also use Message Box to apply for a waste processor ID code or to report received waste materials online. In that case you must use the Netherlands Enterprise Agency's Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO