Registration and consultation of Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you intend to work as a veterinarian or para-veterinarian in the Netherlands, you must be registered in the Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners (Diergeneeskunderegister, CIBG). CIBG manages the register. You can only be registered if you have the appropriate qualifications. Registration is compulsory for the following professions:

  • veterinarian
  • veterinary assistant/para-veterinarian
  • animal physiotherapist
  • technician specialised in embryo collection, transfer and placement

You can only register if you have the right qualifications. You can look up which procedure you need to follow if you are a veterinarian from within the EEA/Switzerland and if you are a (para)veterinarian from outside the EEA/Switzerland on CIBG's website.

Using DigiD, you can register online at (in Dutch). If you do not have DigiD, for instance if you live abroad, you can use the English-language PDF form. For any questions regarding the registration, please contact the Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners.

Registration of veterinarians and para-veterinarians with foreign qualifications

Veterinarians and para-veterinarians who earned their qualifications abroad must satisfy the training requirements applicable in the Netherlands. If you have a current (no more than 3 months old) Certfificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS), CIBG may recognise your qualification immediately or you may first have to request a statement of professional competence from the country where you obtained your qualification.


Veterinary care assistants and veterinary technicians specialised in embryo placement or embryo collection are allowed to perform less complex veterinary activities independently without supervision. However, most of their activities will take place under the supervision or guidance of a veterinarian. Animal physiotherapists may only treat animals after referral from a veterinarian.

Consulting the register

The Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners is open to the public. For instance, suppliers of veterinary pharmaceutical products can consult the Register (in Dutch) to determine whether veterinarians and para veterinarians are actually included.

Online registration procedure via Message Box

You can also submit a request to be listed in the Register of Veterinary Medical Practioners online via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO