Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Registration sworn interpreters and translators

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

In the Netherlands, the courts of law, the police, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND), the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee and the Public Prosecution Service are obliged to use sworn interpreters and translators.

Registration and taking the oath

In order to become a sworn interpreter or translator in the Netherlands, you must be registered in the Register of Sworn Interpreters and TranslatorsExternal link (RBTV, in Dutch). This register is compiled by the Bureau of Sworn Interpreters and Translators. Registration is subject to quality and integrity requirements as well as additional periodic training. You also need a certificate of good conduct (Verklaring omtrent het gedrag, VOG). With your certificate of registration, you subsequently submit a request to be sworn to the district court for your place of residence. After you have taken the oath, the court will send you an instrument of administration of the oath. You must send a copy of this instrument to the Bureau WBTV.

Foreign sworn interpreters and translators

Foreigners who want to register as sworn interpreter or translator in the Netherlands also need a Dutch certificate of good conduct. If you have lived in the Netherlands for less than five years, you must also submit an integrity statement from your country of origin. In addition, you must at least hold a certificate which shows that you possess the required knowledge and skills. Recognition of diplomas awarded in another EU country can be obtained from Nuffic (the Dutch organisation for internationalisation in education).

Online registration procedure via Message Box

You can also submit requests to be registered in the RBTV online via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO