Reporting soil remediation (BUS notification)

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOLast updated on Nederlandse versie

Do you plan to remediate (restore) contaminated soil or move contaminated soil? You must notify the provincial authorities.

Find out more or arrange now

at your municipality, province, or water authority

BUS notification (BUS-melding) for simple remediations

You can report straightforward, standard remediations (for example laying or renewing cables, pipelines, and sewers in contaminated soil) via the so-called BUS notification (BUS-melding, in Dutch). BUS stands for Besluit uniforme saneringen (in English: Decree on harmonised remediation).

You send the BUS notification form to the competent authority for the Soil protection act Wbb (bevoegd gezag Wet bodembescherming, Wbb). This is usually the province. The Dutch government provides an overview of the competent authorities and their contact information (Contactgegevens bevoegde overheden Wet bodembescherming, pdf, in Dutch).

You can only start your soil remediation after you have been given permission. You should check with the province how you can get this permission and how long it takes. Subsequently you have to report if:

  • you start the remediation
  • there is a change in the remediation work
  • you have finished the work

After the remediation you need to submit a remediation report (evaluation report).

Notification of soil remediation and remediation plan

If you cannot notify the soil remediation under the BUS arrangement, you must notify the provincial authorities. And you must submit a remediation plan.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can submit the soil remediation notification and the BUS notification also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

Related articles

This webpage is part of an EU quality network