Rules for agricultural and construction vehicles

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
< 1 min read
Nederlandse versie

Do you own and operate or sell agricultural and construction vehicles? Agricultural and construction vehicles must be registered with the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) if you drive them on public roads and they can exceed 6 km/h.

The obligation to register applies to:

You need to register both new vehoicles and vehicles that are already in use. For some motorised vehicles with limited speed (MMBS) and some mobile machinery you do not need to register.

You can check if your vehicle needs to be registered with the RDW’s Dutch-language tool.

Registering with the RDW

You must register your agricultural or construction vehicle with the RDW (in Dutch). New vehicles should be tested first at an RDW testing station (in Dutch).

You can find the costs for registration on RDW's website (in Dutch).

Registration plates

If you drive faster than 25 km/h with the vehicle, it must have a registration plate (licence plate).

Periodical technical inspection (APK) for tractors

Do you own a tractor for agriculture or forestry that can exceed 40 km/h? You must have your tractor tested periodically (in Dutch).