Third-party liability insurance for motor vehicles

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

In the Netherlands, you must have third-party liability insurance (WAM- or WA-verzekering), if you have a (company) vehicle. This will cover any damages that you may cause to others with your vehicle. Additionally, you can take out other vehicle insurances such as passenger insurance.

Third-party liability insurance is mandatory

Third-party liability insurance for your vehicle is mandatory. Not only for cars, but also for other vehicles such as:

Trailers are covered under the third-party insurance for the vehicle towing the trailer. You do not need to take out a seperate liability insurance.

RDW checks obligation to take out insurance

The Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) regularly checks if your (company) vehicle is insured. If it is not, you may be fined. If you are not yet driving the vehicle, you can temporarily put vehicle obligations on hold by suspending the registration of the vehicle.

When to take out vehicle insurance?

You must take out third-party liability insurance as soon as the vehicle is registered in your name or your company's name. You can choose which insurance company you take out third-party insurance with. The insurance company must be able to register in the RDW's insurance register. In general, only Dutch insurance companies can do so.

What is covered by third-party insurance?

Third-party insurance compensates for damage you cause to others with your car or other motor vehicle. For example, costs for medical treatment or costs for repairs. Third-party insurance does not cover costs for damage to your own vehicle. For this you can take out extra insurance with your third-party liability insurance (third-party liability plus limited cover - WA beperkt casco, or third-party liability plus comprehensive cover - WA volledig casco).