Logo of the Dutch government

Importing, exporting, and transporting fireworks

This information is provided by Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Nederlandse versie

Do you import, export, or transport fireworks? You are obliged to notify this. You must also have the classification code of the fireworks authorised. And you should comply with the European rules on transport of dangerous goods.

Importing and exporting fireworks

You must notify the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT, in Dutch) 48 hours before the fireworks:

  • enter or exit Dutch territory
  • are put at the disposal of another party

Transport of fireworks

You may only transport fireworks if the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) has authorised the classification code for the fireworks concerned. In order for this to happen:

  • the manufacturer’s classification must correspond with the classification on the ADR list;
  • TNO (Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research) must confirm the accuracy of the classification or award a classification after testing.

You must always register the import, export and distribution of fireworks with ILT.

Rules on transport

Dangerous goods must be transported according to the arrangements made in:

ILT offers a Dutch-language checklist for the transport of consumer fireworks.

Please note: The technical requirements that apply in the Netherlands to fireworks differ from those of other EU member states. Do other EU member states already allow a specific type of fireworks? Then the government may only ban the sale in the Netherlands in exceptional cases.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1