Logo of the Dutch government

Work permit for self-employed professionals

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Are you a foreign freelancer/self-employed professional (zzp'er) who wants to do assignments in the Netherlands? Or do you have a businesses in the Netherlands and you want to subcontract work to a foreign freelancer/self-employed professional? You must comply with the Act on the Employment of Aliens (Wet arbeid vreemdelingen, Wav). This Act contains various rules on foreign freelancer/self-employed professionals working in the Netherlands.

Freelancers/self-employed professionals from EU, EEA or Switzerland

If you come from within the EU or the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you do not require a work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV) to be allowed to work as a freelancer/self-employed professional in the Netherlands. You do, however, have to demonstrate that you are truly self-employed. Self-employed means for instance you are in control over certain aspects of the services you provide. This can be verified by the Netherlands Labour Authority (NLA). Self-employed professionals coming to the Netherlands temporarily for work should also be reported via the online portal for posted workers.

Freelancers/self-employed professionals from outside EU, EEA and Switzerland

Freelancers/self-employed professionals from outside an EU, EEA member country and Switzerland do not require a work permit if they are truly self-employed. They do, however, need a residence permit allowing residence for a self-employed professional or a residence permit including the endorsement 'Work is freely permitted' (Arbeid is vrij toegestaan).

Please note: Do you want to contract a self-employed (zzp'er) Ukranian refugee? You need to apply for a work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV) in all situations. You apply for a TWV to the Employee Insurance Agency (Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV, in Dutch). Contact UWV for more information. Under strict conditions, they can work as entrepreneurs.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1