Working with radiation

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Ionising radiation may come from radioactive substances, ores, fissionable materials, natural resources and X-ray equipment. This radiation may be harmful to humans, animals, plants and goods. Ionising radiation is used in applications by industry, aviation and healthcare, among others.

Permit under the Nuclear Energy Act

In the Netherlands, if you possess, work with or transport applications that use ionising radiation, you must comply with the Dutch nuclear energy legislation. Depending on the situation, you must apply for a permit under the Nuclear Energy Act (in Dutch) or register radioactive sources or equipment (in Dutch) the Dutch Authority for Nuclear Safety and Radiation Protection (Autoriteit Nucleaire Veiligheid en Stralingsbescherming, ANVS). ANVS not only issues permits, but is also responsible for policy development, rules and regulations, supervision and enforcement.

Your employees and ionising radiation

Employees in nuclear plants and hospitals, for example, will be exposed to ionising radiation. If there is a chance that your employees will be exposed to radiation exceeding 6 millisievert (mSv) per year, a radiation physician must perform an initial test and examine employees on a regular basis.

Radiation Protection Unit

The Minister of Economic Affairs will identify those companies or locations where a radiation protection unit should be in place. Radiological health and safety officers then monitor activities involving ionising radiation, on an independent basis.

Dosimetric services

A dosimetric service can determine how much ionising radiation your employees are exposed to, using dosimeters. This dosimetric service should be recognised by the Radiation Protection Team of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. The National Radiation Dose and Information System (NDRIS) is the Dutch system for registration of radiation doses by radiation professionals.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for the permit under the Nuclear Energy Act and the dosimetric service recognition to the Netherlands Enterprise Agency digitally via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO