FAS is a suitable Incoterms® rule for the transport of bulk and general cargo by water. The seller delivers the goods at the agreed port of departure.
Seller arranges and pays for:
- Transport up to and including delivery and unloading on quayside or barge at the agreed port of departure.
- Export formalities and documents.
Buyer arranges and pays for:
- Transport after delivery on quay or barge at agreed departure port to final location.
- Loading of goods from quayside or barge onto departing ship.
- Import formalities and local import documents.
- Trade within and outside the EU.
- Transport of bulk and general cargo by ship.
Not or less suitable for:
- Container transport, as the goods cannot be checked at the moment of risk transfer.
- Payment by Letter of Credit or documentary collection.
- Transport by air, road, or rail.
Transfer of risk from seller to buyer:
- Once seller delivers goods to quay or barge located adjacent to departing vessel.
Points of attention:
- Only intended for transport by water.
- Agree upon the exact location of unloading next to the departing vessel.