On this page
Are you an entrepreneur and is your income substantially lower as a result of the corona crisis? And do you have difficulty paying essential costs? You may be eligible for the Temporary Support for Essential Costs scheme (Tijdelijke Ondersteuning Noodzakelijke Kosten, TONK) to help you pay for essential costs of living such as costs for housing. This scheme is based on the municipal social assistance benefit.
What is TONK?
TONK is meant to help you pay for housing costs such as:
- rent or mortgage payments
- utilities (electricity, water, gas)
- service charges
- municipal taxes
Your municipality decides for which costs you can apply for TONK. You can get TONK retroactively from 1 January 2021 through September 2021 for a maximum of 9 months. Your municipality may decide it is a loan.
Who can apply?
TONK is meant as a last resort. You can only apply for TONK if you are not eligible for other forms of financial support, such as unemployment benefit. Or if you do get financial support such as the TOZO but still have too little income to pay your housing costs.
To be eligible for this support you:
- have suffered a significant loss of income as a result of the corona crisis
- are over 18 years of age
- cannot pay your costs for housing from your family income or from easily accessible capital (for example cash, bank accounts or stocks)
- cannot pay these costs even with the help of other financial support measures such as a supplement on your unemployment benefit
The following sources of income do not count toward TONK:
- the value of your house
- the assets in your company
- the Reimbursement Fixed Costs (TVL)
- the Temporary Emergency Bridging Measure for Sustained Employment (NOW).
Differences between municipalities
The implementation of TONK can differ for each municipality.
- your municipality sets the threshold for the capital that counts towards your income
- you municipality is responsible for the checking of your financial capacity
Extra conditions may apply, depending on the municipality.
How to apply?
You can apply for TONK to your municipality. The deadline for application for TONK may differ per municipality. Please check your municipality's website for more information.