On this page
Are you an entrepreneur and are you faced with financial difficulties as a result of the corona measures? You may be eligible for the Temporary Support for Essential Costs scheme (Tijdelijke Ondersteuning Noodzakelijke Kosten, TONK) to help you pay for required costs of living such as costs for housing.
What is TONK?
TONK is meant to help you pay for housing costs such as:
- rent or mortgage payments
- utilities (electricity, water, gas)
- service charges
- municipal taxes
Your municipality decides for which costs you can apply for TONK. You can get TONK retroactively from 1 January 2021 through June 2021 for a maximum of 6 months. Your municipality may decide it is a loan.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for this support you:
- have suffered a significant loss of income as a result of the corona measures
- are over 18 years of age
- cannot pay your costs for housing from your family income or from easily accessible capital (for example cash, bank accounts or stocks)
- your municipality sets the threshold for the capital that counts towards your income
- you municipality is responsible for the checking of your financial capacity
The implementation of TONK can differ for each municipality. Extra conditions may apply, depending on the municipality.
TONK is meant as a last resort. You can only apply for TONK if you are not eligible for other forms of financial support, such as unemployment benefit. Or if you do get financial support such as the TOZO but still have too little income to pay your housing costs.
The following sources of income do not count toward TONK:
- the value of your house
- the assets in your company
- the Reimbursement Fixed Costs (TVL)
- the Temporary Emergency Bridging Measure for Sustained Employment (NOW).
How to apply?
You can apply for TONK retroactively from 1 January 2021 through June 2021 to your municipality. Please check your municipalty's website for more information.